Since we use ACES certificates for sending healthcare information in a way that
mimimizes MITM, I was surprised to read the following.

"The Federal PKI has cross-certified other agencies and commercial CAs, which
means their certificates will be trusted by clients that trust the Federal PKI.
However, none of these roots are publicly trusted. Even when a publicly trusted
commercial CA is cross-certified with the Federal PKI, they maintain complete
separation between their publicly trusted certificates and their Federal PKI
cross-certified certificates.

As a result, there is not currently a viable way to obtain an individual
certificate for use in TLS/HTTPS that is issued or trusted by the Federal PKI,
and also trusted by the general public."

Source CIO Council

The new ACES CP dated Jan 17 2017 does not assure public use of the ACES root.