On 16/05/17 14:45, Doug Beattie via dev-security-policy wrote:
Ryan,

If you look at the wide range of user agents accessing google.com today you'd
see many legacy applications and older versions of browsers and custom browsers
built from variants of the commercial browsers.  By the time all/most users
upgraded to new browsers, it would be time to change the roots out again and
this will impact the ability for web site operators to enable TLS for all
visitors.

Before we can implement a short Root usage policy we'd need to convince all
browsers to follow a process for rapid updates of root stores.

Hi Doug.

Imagine a root cert A, valid for a short duration; and a root cert B, valid for a long duration.

Under Ryan's proposal, Mozilla would put A (but not B) in NSS, whereas other less agile root stores would contain B.

A doesn't have to be in every root store, because B can cross-certify A. (Let's call the cross-certificate A').

A widely compatible cert chain would therefore look like this:
B -> A' -> Intermediate -> Leaf

If you're already cross-certifying from an older root C, then an even more widely compatible cert chain would look like this:
C -> B' -> A' -> Intermediate -> Leaf

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist