Wow.

That is disheartening.  Those are issued from their newly cut intermediates
issued descending from their G3 root, which I had assumed was the
infrastructure that they intend to get audited for inclusion into the various
root programs again.

It would seem an issuance like that on that infrastructure was a bad call if
I'm correct on that part.

Or at a minimum, I really hope they had permission from whoever owns test.cn.

I actually was a long time paying customer and fan of StartCom.  It really was
the cheapest way to pre-validate and do multiple EV issuances.  I thought their
issuance interface was rather innovative, along with their pricing model.

(I'm aware of the controversy on the charging for revocation thing, and I see
both sides.  Ultimately, I agree that responsible revocation is a matter that
should not disincentivized by economic policies of an individual CA.)

Matt