Thanks, Kathleen, for raising these issues.

At a high level, this highlights an interesting concern. If we, as the
broader community, lack the expertise to appropriate review and consume the
audit reports as intended, it may signal a question about whether or not we
should consider consuming ETSI reports. Thus, to ensure ETSI reports
continue to be viable for CAs to provide, it would behove those supporters
and professionals to ensure there is a robust understanding about how to
consume such reports, much as there is similar ongoing discussion (and much
better expertise) towards the consumption of WebTrust reports.

The text you've described seems to align with the process outlined in
https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/ch/pdf/kpmg-certification-compliance-and-methodology-en.pdf

However, that process notably differs from the expectations of the Mozilla
Root Certificate Policy and expectations.

As you've noted, the letter calls out that this is a main certification
audit (good!), but then notes surveillance audits are planned. While
permissible under the appropriate ETSI guidelines, for purposes of
inclusion in the Mozilla store, the expectation is that a full assessment
audit is performed each year. That is,
http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/319400_319499/319403/02.02.02_60/en_319403v020202p.pdf
Section 7.9 permits (limited scope) assessments, but Mozilla does not.

Thus, despite being a main certification audit (which is expected), the
fact that it's called out that other items are planned is concerning.

I think this also aligns with why "agreed upon procedures" is concerning.
An AUP could indicate that the CA has gone above and beyond the set of
controls, or it may indicate that the CA has self-limited the scope of the
engagement to a subset of activities. It may be that the activities are not
performed, as we've seen similarly in WebTrust audits (for example, with
respect to certificate suspension). Unfortunately, this is not clear - and
there's not enough information in the report, as best I can tell, to
distinguish this case.

I am very concerned with respect to the "point in time" audit. There should
not be any ambiguity here - both with respect to Mozilla expectations and
to the general understanding, as previously discussed in the CA/Browser
Forum with the respective auditor communities. To an extent, this aligns
with my understanding of a "main certification audit" - that is, that they
may be inclined to be "point in time" audit, with the surveillance audit
being a review of the CA's adherence to that.

I agree there's some ambiguity with the statement of "Note that the
corresponding certification report was written in German and is only
intended for the client". On one sense, we want to ensure that the report
provided is consistent with and 'binding' of the auditor (conformance
assessment body) and a statement they'll stand by, hence the concern. That
said, the report also asserts KPMG's SCESm registration, so presumably,
this is an official statement. The scope is noted as discussed further at
https://www.seco.admin.ch/sas/PKI , except that URL isn't valid.

Similarly, I agree, it's concerning that it's noted as conforming to the
EVCP profile, but similarly notes "We were not engaged to and did not
conduct an examination, the objective of which would be the expression of
an opinion on the Application for Extended Validation (EV) Certificate."
It's not clear how to reconcile this difference.

Another element of uncertainty is that the policies are listed as
compliance to "DVCP and PTC-BR", except that with respect to EN 319 411-1,
it states that "NOTE: Within the context of the present document PTC is
used synonymously with EVC, DVC and OVC as per
CAB Forum documents. ". So is this indicative that they evaluated DVCP,
OVCP, and EVCP? Or something else? As best I can tell, "PTC-BR" is an
artifact from the predecessor document, TS 102 042, and not relevant in the
context of 411-1.

One other thing that I'm unclear with - it's notable that in audits
performed by other CABs provide certificates of compliance. For example,
TUVIT provides
https://www.tuvit.de/en/services/certification/certification-authorities-according-to-etsi/
. My understanding from the ETSI representatives to the CA/B Forum is that
such certifications are standard - but it's unclear that this represents
such a certification. Perhaps this is only unique to TUVIT?

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Kathleen Wilson via dev-security-policy <