Hi Kai,

On 30/06/17 17:38, Kai Engert wrote:
> given that today we don't have a single place where all of Mozilla's
> certificate
> trust decisions can be found, introducing that would be a helpful.

I'm glad you see the value in my goal :-)

> I think the new format should be as complete as possible, including both trust
> and distrust information, including EV and description of rules for partial
> distrust.

I agree, as long as we can stay away from defining a format of arbitrary
complexity.

> It would be good if the new format made it very clear that there are distrust
> entries, and that trust for some CAs is only partial. The latter could make it
> easier for list consumers to identify the partially restricted CA. E.g. some
> might decide to rather not trust a restricted CA at all, if the consumer is
> technically unable to implement the restricting checks.

Yes, indeed.

> Regarding the question how we create new entries for certdata.txt today, we
> currently use the NSS tool "addbuiltin". It takes a certificate as input, and
> can create both positive trust or distrust lines in the current file format,
> that we simply appended to the certdata.txt file.

Ah, OK. So you would not be against the idea of using a tool to maintain
the list in the future?

> Regarding which file format should be used for the new master trust list.
> Unless
> we want to change the way how NSS works, it will probably be helpful to
> continue
> to use the certdata.txt file format, even if it's just used as an intermediate
> in a double conversion.

I certainly think we should continue to maintain the store in that
format. The question is whether that format is the canonical format, or
a derivative format. My feeling was that if we want to be able to add
these new forms of restriction, EV status and so on, we should define a
new format. Ryan seems to think we may be able to do this within the
existing certdata.txt format.

> Instead of requiring everything to be a single file, maybe it could even work
> use an archive file (e.g. zip), that contains all information in easily
> consumable pieces, which would make it unnecessary to serialize and
> deserialize
> the certificates while working with the list, and allows maintainers to use
> tools that work with the certificates directly.

I think that runs the greater risk of people creating systems which just
trust every certificate in the bundle...

> With this approach, we could also declare that the master location for this
> trust list is somewhere outside of NSS (in a separate repository). If we did
> that, the primary location could simply be its own HG/GIT repository, with all
> the individual files. Releases of Mozilla trust list could be an archive file
> that gets published with a checksum file/signature.

We could do this with any approach. Are you interested in the idea of
making the trust list an independently-maintained item, which is just
pulled into NSS each time an NSS release is done?

Gerv