On 03/07/17 16:10, Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy wrote:
I am surprised you decided to fork the thread from here
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.security.policy/sNDN6q26_uM
where this was already being discussed. Seems unnecessary.

Hi Jeremy. That thread discusses a collection of intermediate certs that Tavis Ormandy found (when "crawling the pkcs7 blobs in public pdf files") that were not at the time known to any CT logs. Most of those intermediates did not need to be disclosed to Mozilla.

https://crt.sh/?id=160110886 was not in Tavis's collection and has not AFAICT been previously discussed on this list.

I don't agree this is a policy violation, and I doubt any CA not involved in
the previously mentioned thread would even register that Mozilla may be
requiring disclosure of self-signed CAs.

See this post (from another recent thread) in which Ryan Sleevi explained why it makes sense to require disclosure of self-signed CA certs (for which the subject public key also exists in one or more trusted cross-certificates):
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org/msg07049.html

The only disclosure requirement this root may fall under is the weird
"transitive" trust phrase in the policy. Note, this phrase is not defined in
5280 or the Mozilla policy. Can you please link me to the definition in an RFC? If there
isn't one, until Mozilla clarifies what this means, the definition of transitive trust is
vague, meaning any third interpretation is as good as the one you propose.

I think the meaning of "transitive" trust is actually quite simple.

A leaf cert (L) or intermediate cert (IC1) "transitively chains" to a root (R) if it is issued by an intermediate CA whose cert (IC2) chains to R. The trust for L / IC1 is "transitive" because a relying party will only be able to verify that trust under certain circumstances - i.e., the RP needs to have been made aware of, and received a copy of, the IC2 cert.

If IC1 is issued directly by R, trust is "direct". The RP is able to verify that trust under all circumstances, because R is built into the application / shipped with the trust store that the RP is using.

Regardless, we will log the cert in the database pending resolution of the
dispute on what this means in the Mozilla policy to avoid the debate over this
particular root.

Jeremy