On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy <

> I agree crypto algorithms are not "gotta catch 'em all", but the
> algorithm is ECDH, which NSS must implement anyway to support P-256 and
> P-384, and a curve is just another set of parameters to it. I also think
> that there is little value and there is potential confusion (as we have
> seen) in Mozilla mandating a more restrictive set than the BRs and than
> Microsoft:

Is it really true that additional curves are just additional parameters? I
haven't gone source-diving in NSS recently, but my understanding is that
most crypto libraries provide optimized assembly routines for scalar
multiplication on a per-curve basis -- OpenSSL appears to have over 10,000
lines of assembly-generating-perl for P256 alone (
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/tree/master/crypto/ec/asm).

Alex
  • Re: P-521 Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy
    • Re: P-521 Kurt Roeckx via dev-security-policy
      • Re: P-521 Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy
        • Re: P-521 Tom . via dev-security-policy
          • Re: P-521 J.C. Jones via dev-security-policy
        • Re: [FORGED] Re:... Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy
        • Re: P-521 Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
          • RE: P-521 Arkadiusz Ławniczak via dev-security-policy
            • FW: P-5... Arkadiusz Ławniczak via dev-security-policy
            • Re: FW:... Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Alex Gaynor via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy