On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 1:00:39 PM UTC-5, birg...@princeton.edu wrote:
> We have been considering research in this direction. PEERING controls several
> ASNs and may let us use them more liberally with some convincing. We also
> have the ASN from Princeton that could be used with cooperation from
> Princeton OIT (the Office of Information Technology) where we have several
> contracts. The problem is not the source of the ASNs but the network anomaly
> the announcement would cause. If we were to hijack the prefix of a
> cooperating organization, the PEERING ASes might have their announcements
> filtered because they are seemingly launching BGP attacks. This could be
> fixed with some communication with ISPs, but regardless there is a cost to
> launching such realistic attacks. Matthew Hardeman would probably know more
> detail about how this would be received by the community, but this is the
> general impression I have got from engaging with the people who run the
> PEERING framework.

I have some thoughts on how to perform such experiments while mitigating the
likelihood of significant lasting consequence to the party helping ingress the
hijack to the routing table, but you correctly point out that the attack
surface is large and the one consistent feature of all discussion up to this
point on the topic of BGP hijacks for purpose of countering CA domain
validation is that none of those discuss have, up to this point, expressed
doubt as to the risks or the feasibility of carrying out these risks.  To that
ends, I think the first case that would need to be made to further that
research is whether anything of significance is gained in making the attack
more tangible.

> So far we have not been working on such an attack very much because we are
> focusing our research more on countermeasures. We believe that the attack
> surface is large and there are countless BGP tricks an adversary could use to
> get the desired properties in an attack. We are focusing our research on
> simple and countermeasures CAs can implement to reduce this attack space. We
> also aim to use industry contacts to accurately asses the false positive
> rates of our countermeasures and develop example implementations.
>
> If it appears that actually launching such a realistic attack would be
> valuable to the community, we certainty could look into it further.

This is the question to answer before performing such an attack.  In effect,
who is the audience that needs to be impressed?  What criteria must be met to
impress that audience?  What benefits in furtherance of the work arise from
impressing that audience?

Thanks,

Matt Hardeman