-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert.com@lists.mozilla
.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Ayer via dev-security-policy
Sent: Friday, September 8, 2017 1:25 PM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: CAs not compliant with CAA CP/CPS requirement

The BRs state:

"Effective as of 8 September 2017, section 4.2 of a CA's Certificate Policy
and/or Certification Practice Statement (section 4.1 for CAs still
conforming to RFC 2527) SHALL state the CA's policy or practice on
processing CAA Records for Fully Qualified Domain Names; that policy shall
be consistent with these Requirements. It shall clearly specify the set of
Issuer Domain Names that the CA recognises in CAA 'issue' or 'issuewild'
records as permitting it to issue. The CA SHALL log all actions taken, if
any, consistent with its processing practice."

Since it is now 8 September 2017, I decided to spot check the CP/CPSes of
some CAs.

At time of writing, the latest published CP/CPSes of the following CAs are
not compliant with the above provision of the BRs:

Amazon (https://www.amazontrust.com/repository/) - Does not check CAA

Comodo (https://www.comodo.com/about/comodo-agreements.php) - Does not
specify issuer domain names

DigiCert (https://www.digicert.com/legal-repository/) - Does not specify
issuer domain names, and processing is not compliant with BRs ("If a CAA
record exists that does not list DigiCert as an authorized CA, DigiCert
verifies that the applicant has authorized issuance, despite the CAA
record.")

Google Trust Services (https://pki.goog/) - Does not check CAA

Identrust (https://secure.identrust.com/certificates/policy/ts/) - Does not
check CAA

Izenpe
(http://www.izenpe.eus/s15-content/en/contenidos/informacion/descarga_certif
icados/es_url/index.shtml)
- Does not specify issuer domain names

PROCERT (https://www.procert.net.ve/eng/ca.html) - No mention of CAA

Symantec / GeoTrust (https://www.geotrust.com/resources/repository/legal/)
- Does not specify issuer domain names

Trustis (https://www.trustis.com/pki/trustis-ssl/standard/index.htm) - No
mention of CAA

Visa (http://www.visa.com/pki/) - Does not check CAA

These CAs have compliant CP/CPSes:

Entrust

GlobalSign

GoDaddy

Let's Encrypt

QuoVadis

Trustwave

It would be nice to hear confirmation from the non-compliant CAs that they
really are checking CAA as required, and if so, why they overlooked the
requirement to update their CP/CPS.

Regards,
Andrew