On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 04:26:30 +0100
Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> Nick Lamb, in the message I replied to, clearly suggested as much, and
> provided a contrived scenario to "prove" that point.

That's true, and I apologise if the effect was to de-rail the thread,
but I certainly don't concede that just because the scenario was
contrived it won't happen.

I think like spear phishing we can expect to see sophisticated
criminals targeting organisations through this sort of vulnerability,
so-to-say "casing the joint" before their attack, figuring out exactly
which services exist, what infrastructure is shared or public, looking
for weaknesses. A CA needn't make that job easier.

> I am referring to the cost to the certificate subscriber, specifically
> the cost of paying for two properly validated certificates rather than
> two.  Nick Lamb's scenario involved someone deliberately ordering both
> *.example.com and www.example.com as separate certificates, along with
> other circumstances.

The price paid by the subscriber to a traditional commercial CA has
essentially nothing to do with the marginal cost of issuing more
certificates. If it did Let's Encrypt would have bankrupted its sponsor
companies months ago.

Nick.