On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:43:48 -0700
Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> The root CA is ultimately responsible for subordinate CAs it has
> signed.

I see a problem with that, as this is far from obvious.

If a random person discovers a problem with a certificate it seems
quite natural to go to the place that issued it. If you see a
certificate issued by Microsoft then why would you believe that anyone
other than Microsoft is responsible for that?

(Add to that that in order to find out that it's ultimately Digicert
that is responsible you'd have to first figure out that the root is
"Baltimore Cybertrust", then figure out that this is a company that no
longer exists and that the root has been bought by Digicert at some
point.)

IMHO we're seeing a very problematic practice here. On the one Hand CAs
offer that companies can get their own "branded" certificates that are
"issued" by them, on the other hand that's not really the case and all
the responsibility is still with the CA. For the user - and also for
potential reporters of security problems - this is obfuscating things.

I'm mostly not concerned about the people following these things
closely and are members of this list, but about random other people who
happen to find problems. It surely seems beneficial for the certificate
ecosystem to make sure that they can easily find the right place to
report problems.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42