On 18/01/18 13:53, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> But Gerv, Mozilla's policies already unequally favor the incumbent CAs, at
> the detriment to both user security and the ecosystem. If your goal is for
> policies that do not favor incumbents, then it seems a significantly
> different discussion should happen - and proposals such as Jonathan's
> inherently provide a way to normalize that field.

If Jonathan's proposal were applied to all CAs, it might well reduce
incumbent advantage. But that would be a different discussion from
inclusion criteria. If it were applied only to new CAs, it would be
relevant to the current discussion - but then it would entrench
incumbent advantage.

> A prime example, recently highlighted in ongoing CA inclusion discussions,
> is whether or not a CA must have an unbroken series of audits since their
> key was created (the PITRA).

Yes. It seems that we have come to the position that it does not
necessarily have to. But I would raise an eyebrow at a root that had
been operating for 10 years and had only got its first set of audits
last week.

> Obviously, during the introduction of the
> Baseline Requirements, this was not the case for any incumbents - and
> Mozilla further granted an effective 3 years for incumbents beyond the BRs
> effective date to come up to date, while simultaneously examining new CAs
> against the modernized criteria.

I'm not sure it was that long, and even if it was, I think this
criticism is a little harsh given that we have been at the forefront of
giving the BRs any teeth at all.

Gerv