The trouble is that the BRs for those methods are really really vague.

I don't know that one can make a stronger case for misissuance versus
properly issued in these cases.

I'm certainly no fan of the mechanism in TLS-SNI-01 and regard it deficient
in the face of real world deployment circumstances.  Clearly Let's Encrypt
does too, for why else would they have disabled the mechanism?

If we assume a world with more complex infrastructure, the case can be made
that they're not attaching to the authorization domain name, because they
failed to submit that name via SNI to the endpoint to which they are
attached, which may cause the validation to be routed incorrectly within
certain more complex hosting architectures.  On the other hand, they did
access the right IP address via DNS lookup to the correct target
authorization domain name, meaning they're talking to the right endpoint at
the IP layer.

Nothing in the BRs makes clear what would be a correct interpretation.
It's hard to imagine that one could not defend that "on the Authorization
Domain Name" via TLS over an Authorized Port means no more than at an IP
address discovered as an A or AAAA record after having dereferenced the
authorization domain name as necessary via typical DNS resolution rules
(allowing for CNAME, etc.) on port 443.

Nowhere within the BRs is it formally specified that the TLS session over
which this validation is taking place need to even implement SNI (an
optional feature) much less that there should be regard for the value.

Having said all that, and having read the very limited specifications of
the 10 blessed methods, I have, as an outsider looking in, arrived at the
conclusion that each and every of these methods is ridiculously
underspecified.  I'm convinced that each of the 10 should be scrutinized
thoroughly before being discarded or in the alternative formally specified
in egregious detail, such that questions such as this one may not be
raised.

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 3:46 PM, Doug Beattie via dev-security-policy <