Gerv and I have made, and the CA/Browser Forum has accepted a proposal to
convene a "Validation Summit" on Tuesday March 6th during the next
regularly scheduled CA/Browser Forum face-to-face meeting that will be held
in the Washington DC area.

The intent of this summit is to perform an analysis of each of the "blessed
10" domain validation methods, identify weaknesses, and determine if each
method needs to be improved or deprecated. You can find a proposed agenda
at [1].

The CA/Browser Forum has agreed to invite security experts who have
specialized knowledge of threat analysis and CA operations to participate,
and I would like to extend that invitation to members of the Mozilla
security community. It would be particularly helpful to have participants
who have experience in the following areas:

   1. Real-world experience with the validation procedures as they are
   currently practiced by public CAs
   2. Experience with threat modeling, analyzing a variety of protocols, or
   other methods for rigorously analyzing processes and procedures for
   potential vulnerabilities
   3. Deep technical expertise related to how validation-related
   technologies perform and/or fail in the real world (DNS, WHOIS, Domain
   Registrars, Reverse IP lookup, and so on)
   4. Technical challenges that prevent various validation methods from
   being usable by a significant fraction of certificate applicants, and thus
   drive users towards less desirable methods
   5. Automation of validation protocols (i.e. ACME)

Those putting their names forward should be prepared to adhere to the Code
of Conduct [2] and to participate in a constructive discussion that remains
focused on the topic at hand. If you would like to participate, you will be
required to become an Interested Party [3] and sign the CA/Browser Forum
IPR Agreement. [4] (Note: if your company is already a CA/Browser Forum
member, please check with your representative)

If you intend to meet these requirements and attend the summit as an
Interested Party, please email me (wthayer-at-mozilla-dot-com) so that I
can get you added to the list of attendees and provide more information.

We do expect to have a remote attendance option available; however, given
the size of the group, please be aware that it can be difficult to
participate even when the audio quality is good.  If you would like to
attend in-person but require travel/accommodation sponsorship, please
mention that in your email to me, along with a ballpark figure for costs
(estimate the hotel as $122 per night).

Wayne

[1] https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2018-February/012908.html
[2]