On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 2:43 AM, Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 8:27 PM, Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>>

>> > I am specifically thinking of CP/CPS updates, which were a major part of
>> the problem with version 2.5 compliance. There are a few proposals in the
>> 2.6 queue that also require CP/CPS updates. Would you expect those to
>> trigger an exception as described above?
>>

> Yup, I think it totally makes sense to phase those in, since they first
> need to be finalized (via Publication) before CAs can fully update to be
> conformant.

Assuming those CP/CPS requirements make it into the 2.6 version, I will
plan to propose setting the Compliance Date for this specific version to be
2 months after the Publication Date, while not changing the default of
setting them to the same date for future versions of the policy. I think
that addresses both of our concerns.

I think we both agree that compliance with 2.5 was a problem that we'd
>> like to address. I've put forth the argument that having Compliance Date >
>> Publication Date could help to improve that. Do you disagree with my
>> assertion, or simply feel that on balance it is better to have new
>> policies
>> enacted sooner but with less compliance? Maybe a better solution would be
>> to ask CAs to attest to their compliance via a survey each time we publish
>> a new policy version?
>

> I don't think having Compliance Date > Publication Date will, in general,
> help for situations of CAs being non-compliant. I think it will help with
> some things - if their non-compliance was due to, for example, updating
> systems or CP/CPSes - but I think it will harm other things - e.g. CAs
> monitoring m.d.s.p. or disclosing certain things.
>
> Regarding CAs attesting to compliance, I think that will help, but not
> because of the Compliance Date or Publication Date. Rather, it will help
> because no matter what we do or say, there are a subset of CAs who simply
> will not and do not spend time following m.d.s.p. and only reply to emails
> and only after several emails have gone by and only after being shamed at
> the risk of distrust.

I agree, and will plan to send a CA Communication when the new version is
published.