On 21 Mar 2018 17:58, Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

7.  List of steps your CA is taking to resolve the situation and
ensure such issuance will not be repeated in the future, accompanied
with a timeline of when your CA expects to accomplish these things.

We revoked the certificates and added preliminary checking for Tor
descriptors. We are adding additional checks to ensure certs cannot
issue without them.

A broader consideration might be how DigiCert (or any CA) can ensure such checks get thought up / planned for during the process of spinning up a new type of issuance.

Imagine the CA/B eventually authorizes some hypothetical new "MV" certificates, they are Web PKI certs but with some different (less / more / just strange) validation and criteria for the cert itself. Obviously we cannot plan today for how this should be done exactly, but a CA thinking of issuing MV ought to - as part of that - figure out what needs to happen in terms of preventing mis-issuance of the new certs.

Otherwise we're inevitably back here shortly after the CA/B says OK.