When the Francisco Partners acquisition of Comodo was announced, it was
pointed out [1] that a strict reading of the current policy section 8.1
would have forced Comodo to stop issuing certificates for some period of
time:

If the receiving or acquiring company is new to the Mozilla root program,
> there MUST be a public discussion regarding their admittance to the root
> program, which Mozilla must resolve with a positive conclusion before
> issuance is permitted.

I propose that we update section 8.1 to distinguish between root transfers
and acquisition of or investment in a CA organization, with the latter
cases allowing issuance to continue during the discussion period.

During the earlier discussion on this topic [1], it was also proposed that
we require the receiving or acquiring company to make no changes during the
discussion period and that we require all material changes anticipated as a
result of the investment or acquisition to be publicly disclosed by the CA.

This is: https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/109

[1]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/AvGlsb4BAZo/gQe5ggE6BQAJ
-------

This is a proposed update to Mozilla's root store policy for version
2.6. Please keep discussion in this group rather than on GitHub. Silence
is consent.

Policy 2.5 (current version):
https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/blob/2.5/rootstore/policy.md