Operating a technically unconstrained issuing CA, Siemens CA (aka TSP) does
something very similar in case a new CA is necessary:

* In an audited ceremony based on the operational and technical controls
audited in the last annual audit a key pair is generated on one of the HSMs
* A CSR is constructed and sent to our cross signing partner, together with the
witness report of the auditor, filled with all the information required by
Microsoft in the Audit Cover Letter Template
* The cross signing partner checks the report and creates the certificate for
the issuing CA After receiving the new certificate we update our CPS Only after
the new CPS is published certificates are issued

In the next annual audit the new CA is part of the normal audit.

So I would recommend to choose a combination of options #1 and #2.

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
GS IT HR 7 4