On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 1:10:13 PM UTC-7, Wayne Thayer wrote:
> I'm forwarding this for Tim because the list rejected it as SPAM.

Reading this thread and thinking the current text, based on the interpretation
discussed, does not accommodate a few cases that I think are useful.

For example, if we consider a CA supporting a large mail provider in providing
S/MIME certificates to all of its customers. In this model, the mail provider
is the authoritative namespace owner.

In the context of mail, you can imagine gmail.com or peculiarventures.com as
examples, both are gmail (as determined by MX records). It seems reasonable to
me (Speaking as Ryan and not Google here) to allow a CA to leverage this
internet reality (expressed via MX records) to work with a CA to get S/MIME
certificates for all of its customers without forcing them through an email
challenge.

In this scenario, you could not rely on name constraints because the onboarding
of custom domains (like peculiarventures.com) happens real time as part of
account creation. The prior business controls text seemed to allow this case
but it seems the interpretation discussed here would prohibit it.

Another case I think is interesting is that of a delegation of email
verification to a third-party. For example, when you do a OAUTH authentication
to Facebook it will return the user’s email address if it has been verified.
The same is true for a number of related scenarios, for example, you can tell
via Live Authentication and Google Authentication if the user's email was
verified.

The business controls text plausibly would have allowed this use case also.

I think a policy that does not allow a CA to support these use cases would
severly limit the use cases in which S/MIME could be used and I would like to
see them considered.

Ryan Hurst