-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy-bounces+mads.henriksveen=buypass...@lists.mozilla.org> On
Behalf Of Rob Stradling via dev-security-policy
Sent: tirsdag 16. januar 2018 22:29
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: CCADB disclosure of id-kp-emailProtection intermediates

[Kathleen, Gerv, Wayne: Please correct me if this post misrepresents Mozilla's
policy and/or current expectations.  Thanks!]

Mozilla Root Store Policy v2.5 section 5.3.1 [1] permitted the non-disclosure
(and, IINM, non-audit) of certain non-technically-constrained
id-kp-emailProtection intermediate certificates...until yesterday:
"Instead of complying with the above paragraph, intermediate certificates
issued before 22nd June 2017 may, until 15th January 2018..."

According to [2], there are currently 223 non-technically-constrained
intermediate certificates known to crt.sh that chain to an NSS built-in root
(that has the Email trust bit set) and are capable of issuing
id-kp-emailProtection certificates but not id-kp-serverAuthentication
certificates.

IIUC, the Mozilla policy now requires these intermediate certificates to have
already been disclosed to the CCADB and to be audited.

[1]
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/security-group/certs/policy/#technically-constrained

[2] https://crt.sh/mozilla-disclosures#undisclosed

[3] https://crt.sh/mozilla-disclosures#undisclosedsummary