On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:42:43 -0700 (PDT)
Santhan Raj via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> What is interesting to me is the DV certificate that Amazon had
> issued for myetherwallet.com (https://crt.sh/?id=108721338) and this
> certificate expired on Apr 23rd 2018.
>
> Could it be that the attackers were using this cert all along in
> place of a EV cert? _______________________________________________

I have not been able to view this link for some reason. However I can
say that I've seen screenshots alleged to be of the Cert Viewer on a
Windows PC connected to the attacker site, and it's hilariously bogus,
it's a self-signed certificate with CA:TRUE set, and the site's name as
Common Name, it looks like if somebody with no previous exposure to the
Web PKI tried to make a certificate based on some random blog post or
old Youtube tutorial. e.g.

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/988785871188045825

There's no way this was ever valid, anywhere. If it's what was actually
used (and I have no reason to believe it wasn't) the attackers relied
upon the Dancing Pig effect to get their job done.

Maybe we're actually lucky they didn't get a newer tutorial that taught
them to use ACME.