On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM, Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
wrote:

> What precisely was the antecedent of “this” in your message?  Re-reading
> it, I’m not clear which sentence you were referring to.
>

> The only reasons I can think of for not keeping DNSSEC signed RRs are
> storage and/or performance, and we think those concerns should not be the
> driving force in logging requirements (within reason).
>

> Are there other good reasons not to keep the DNSSEC signed RRs associated
> with DNSSEC CAA lookups?

I believe you are operating on a flawed understanding of the value of
DNSSEC for forensic purposes, given the statement that "I absolutely would
expect Let's Encrypt to produce DNSSEC signed RRs that match up to their
story. The smoking gun for such scenarios exists, and CAs are, or should
be, under no illusions that it's their job to produce it."

To me, this demonstrates a flawed, naive understanding of DNSSEC, and in
particular, its value in forensic post-issuance claims, and also a flawed
understanding about how DNS works, in a way that, as proposed, would be
rather severely damaging to good operation and expected use of DNS. While
it's easy to take shots on the basis of this, or to claim that the only
reason not to store is because disk space, it would be better to take a
step back before making those claims.

DNSSEC works as short-lived signatures, in which the proper operation of
DNSSEC is accounted for through frequent key rotation. DNS works through
relying on factors such as TTLs to serve as effective safeguards against
overloading the DNS system, and its hierarchal distribution allows for
effective scaling of that system.

A good primer to DNSSEC can be had at
https://www.cloudflare.com/dns/dnssec/how-dnssec-works/ , although I'm sure
many other introductory texts would suffice to highlight the problem.

Let us start with a naive claim that the CA should be able to produce the
entire provenance chain for the DNSSEC-signed leaf record. This would be
the chain of KSKs, ZSKs, the signed RRSets, as well as the DS records,
disabling caching for all of these (or, presumably, duplicating it such
that the .com KSK and ZSK are recorded for millions of certs).

However, what does this buy us? Considering that the ZSKs are intentionally
designed to be frequently rotated (24 - 72 hours), thus permitting weaker
key sizes (RSA-512), a provenance chain ultimately merely serves to
establish, in practice, one of a series of 512-bit RSA signatures. Are we
to believe that these 512-bit signatures, on whose keys have explicitly
expired, are somehow a smoking gun? Surely not, that'd be laughably
ludicrous - and yet that is explicitly what you propose in the quoted text.

So, again I ask, what is it you're trying to achieve? Are you trying to
provide an audit trail? If so, what LE did is fully conformant with that,
and any CA that wishes to disagree should look inward, and see whether
their audit trail records actual phone calls (versus records of such phone
calls), whether their filing systems store the actual records (versus
scanned copies of those records), whether all mail is delivered certified
delivery, and how they recall the results of that certified delivery.

However, let us not pretend that recording the bytes-on-the-wire DNS
about repudiation. Rather, it helps us identify issues such as what LE
highlighted - a need for quick and efficient information scanning to
discover possible impact - which is hugely valuable in its own right, and
is an area where I am certain that a majority of CAs are woefully lagging
in. That LE recorded this at all, beyond simply "checked DNS", is more of a
credit than a disservice, and a mitigating factor more than malfeasance.