On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy <

> This is one of the reasons I think we should require an OID specifying the
> validation method be included in the cert. Then you can require the CA
> support revocation using the same validation process as was used to confirm
> certificate authorization. With each cert logged in CT, everyone in the
> world will know exactly how to revoke an unauthorized or no-longer-wanted
> cert.

I agree that it would be forensically interesting to have that data
available in the certificate.  I question whether a policy of using only
the same method of demonstrating control anew is appropriate as a policy
for granting revocation.

There is a hierarchy of supremacy in domain validation.  The party
controlling the NS delegations from the registry has absolute precedence
over the present effective DNS server administrator, should they choose to
flex it.  The party immediately in effective control of the authoritative
DNS takes precedence over a website admin within the domain.

Consider that now current CAA records and policy (for good cause, even)
might presently prohibit successful validation via the method previously
utilized to acquire the certificate that the current domain holder wishes
to have revoked.  (Even if only by specifying a new CA, rather than the CA
that previously issued the certificate for which revocation is being
sought.)  Would you then advocate that if the validation can succeed --
save for the CAA mismatch -- that this be regarded as sufficient evidence
to revoke?  That probably deserves some careful thought.

In any event, proof of ability to modify the authoritative DNS over each
label in the certificate should almost certainly suffice to revoke a
previously issued certificate that relied exclusively upon just about any
other sort of domain validation.