On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com>
wrote:

> I only ask because telling people to go back to the CA and work something
> out isn’t a great answer when the retort is that the CA will be distrusted
> if they don’t. Either the customer doesn’t replace all their certs and they
> are made non-functional by revocation or the certs are distrusted because
> the CA isn’t operational anymore. Telling people to go have the CA cover
> the risk when those are the two options seems like we’re avoiding the
> public discussion.

Why not? It's fundamentally the CA taking the risk on when deciding whether
or not to meet the requirements of the programs that they participate in -
whether technical, policy, or contractual. If a customer wanted to ask a CA
to break a contractual requirement, isn't it ultimately the CA they should
be asking?

I think we're in agreement that, regardless, the CA MUST receive a
qualified audit. There's seemingly no defense that if they fail to revoke,
it should be a qualification, and there's even an argument that the
issuance itself should have been a qualification (and result in their
auditor re-evaluating these material facts, such as under AT-C 205.A54-A57
regarding revisions to opinions in light of subsequent events and
application guidance).

It's unclear what you expect to result from a public discussion, so perhaps
it would be helpful if you could clarify. It sounds like you're looking for
a blanket rubric for which to ignore the requirements of the Baseline
Requirements, so that the rubric can then be applied customer requests, and
determine whether or not these individual customers justify violating the
BRs. A good CA would acknowledge the rubric is, in fact, zero - zero
violations is the "justified" case, and everything else is the risk case.
Alternatively, it may be a desire that a rubric should exist, a priori to
any violations, so as to help determine whether a violation is justified,
even when the stated goal is zero violations.

If you look at public discussions, think about what the goals are of the
Incident Response template, which is about understanding how the CA's
processes failed. If you were to imagine intentionally violating the BRs,
knowingly, it seems like an incident response template would be far more
damning for that CA's operational competencies. That's not to suggest to
CAs its better to ask forgiveness than permission - a CA that ignored
changes in the BRs, clearly communicated (as Wayne mentioned in the
original post), also seems likely to have an incident report template that
is quite damning.

Using the experiences from the SHA-1 exception process, the only formalized
exception process, you can see that even in those limited cases, there was
significant skepticism towards the reasons. I would think that any proposal
for exceptions minimally achieve that degree of transparency, but would be
equally damning if those justifications were the same as those used for
SHA-1 - as the SHA-1 exception process "should" have revealed that those
are not, in fact, seen as legitimate.

If it helps to imagine this as a "How would this incident be received if it
became part of a Wiki page that listed a series of ongoing violations", I
think any CA contemplating not meeting the required transition date should
be asking "How many issues have I (or my sub-CAs) had under
https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Incident_Dashboard and
https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Closed_Incidents ). And there are definitely
some CAs that do not look to great in that light.