On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:18 AM Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy <

> The options to consider are:
> 1. Continue with current policy of treating non-disclosure of unconstrained
> intermediates as an incident. This could eventually lead to having the
> offending intermediate added to OneCRL, but in practice it never has
> because disclosure is not difficult.
> 2. Change our policy to state that any undisclosed intermediate we discover
> will be immediately and permanently added to OneCRL.
> 3. Wait for the "intermediate preloading" feature to ship in Firefox. As
> currently defined, this is not an enforcement mechanism for disclosure, but
> it could be.
> 4. Assume that CT enforcement will (eventually, on some undefined timeline
> for Firefox) force intermediate disclosures and eliminate the need for
> Mozilla to require CAs to manually disclose serverAuth intermediates in
> CCADB.

Given the timescales of intermediates (5-10 years) vs other certificates,
it's unclear how #4 would be done. I suspect that, between #3 and #4, that
#3 is probably functionally far more attractive, and operationally cleaner
for CAs (given the offline nature of intermediate signing ceremonies due to
the root key material).

I think of the first two, #2 is more appealing than #1, as it avoids the
needs to distinguish malice from operational failure, and thus provides
something clear and automatable (from the client side), thus removing the
necessity of discussion. #3 simply moves this from a "permanent" state to a
"temporary" state, which doesn't seem like it changes much for Subscribers,
but is friendlier to CAs that have operational failures.

So it sounds like a combination of #3+#1 (treating it as an incident, but
allowing for temporary blocking) may be a balanced approach if leniency for
operational mistakes are desired, otherwise, #2 seems the easiest to set
expectations and not have to litigate/renegotiate/investigate every time it
happens. #4 is just a different technical means to approaching some
variation of #3/#2, but with different tradeoffs, and less predictability
(embedded proofs vs TLS-delivered / OCSP stapled proofs)

Thus, a preference is:
(combination of #3 + #1)