Dear Dev.Sec.Policy,

Following you can find our report about the problem reported about the Bug
1462423.

  1.  How your CA first became aware of the problem (e.g. via a problem report
submitted to your Problem Reporting Mechanism, a discussion in
mozilla.dev.security.policy, a Bugzilla bug, or internal self-audit), and the
time and date.

On 2018-05-17 Andrew Ayer reported the problem through the standard email
channel: visszavo...@netlock.hu<mailto:visszavo...@netlock.hu> used for
revoking certificates. Unfortunately we missed the Mozilla bug ticked reminder
at this time.

  1.  A timeline of the actions your CA took in response. A timeline is a
date-and-time-stamped sequence of all relevant events. This may include events
before the incident was reported, such as when a particular requirement became
applicable, or a document changed, or a bug was introduced, or an audit was
done.

After we got Andrews mail, we immediately stopped the issuance until the
investigation. We identified 7 certificates with this problem (which have
problematic CT certificates) and communicated with the end user about the
problem. It was a configuration error in the production system on these
certificates, which was the root cause.

  1.  Whether your CA has stopped, or has not yet stopped, issuing certificates
with the problem. A statement that you have will be considered a pledge to the
community; a statement that you have not requires an explanation.

Upon receiving Andrew's email, we stopped the issuing certificates until the
conclusion of the investigation. After the identification of affected
certificates and cause, we made the necessary corrections, double checked, and
then restarted the issuing.

4.     A summary of the problematic certificates. For each problem: number of
certs, and the date the first and last certs with that problem were issued.

7 incorrect CT certificates were issued between 2018-05-10 and 2018-05-17
connected to issuing 7 standard certificates.

  1.  The complete certificate data for the problematic certificates. The
recommended way to provide this is to ensure each certificate is logged to CT
and then list the fingerprints or crt.sh IDs, either in the report or as an
attached spreadsheet, with one list per distinct problem.

The problematic CT certificates have the following ids:

https://crt.sh/?id=453465677

https://crt.sh/?id=453471736

https://crt.sh/?id=454888650

https://crt.sh/?id=455334246

https://crt.sh/?id=463346340

https://crt.sh/?id=463665252

https://crt.sh/?id=465748957

6.     Explanation about how and why the mistakes were made or bugs introduced,
and how they avoided detection until now.

It was a misconfiguration in the production system. A placeholder config entry
was left in a specific cert type. We have new test cases and protocol in place
to avoid this problem in the future.

7.     List of steps your CA is taking to resolve the situation and ensure such
issuance will not be repeated in the future, accompanied with a timeline of
when your CA expects to accomplish these things.

We already modified the configuration and also added extra validation to block
these types of errors.

sincerely yours,

Viktor Varga

Netlock