I think the assertion that the commonName has anything to do with what the
user would type and expect to see is unsupported by any of the relevant
standards, and as Rob noted, having it be different from the SAN strings is
not in compliance with the Baseline Requirements.  It's also deprecated.  If
anything, it should cease to exist.

Requiring translation to a U-label by the CA adds a lot of additional complexity
with no benefit.

What users type and see are issues that are best left to Application Software
Suppliers (browsers).

-Tim