On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy <

> Past analysis and discussion have shown the interpretation is hardly
> specific to a single CA. It was a problem quite literally publicly
> discussed during the drafting and wording of the ballot. References were
> provided to those discussions. Have you gone and reviewed them? It might be
> helpful to do so, before making false statements that mislead.

The actual text of the guideline is quite clear -- in much the same manner
that frosted glass is.

"Effective September 30, 2016, CAs SHALL generate non-sequential
Certificate serial numbers greater than zero (0) containing at least 64
bits of output from a CSPRNG. "  [1]

Irrespective of the discussion underlying the modifications of the BRs to
incorporate this rule, there are numerous respondent CAs of varying
operational vintage, varying size, and varying organizational complexity.

The history underlying a rule should not be necessary to implement and
faithfully obey a rule.  And yet...

Rather than have us theorize as to why non-compliance with this rule seems
to be so widespread, even by a number of organizations which have more
typically adhered to industry best practices, would you be willing to posit
a plausible scenario for why all of this non-compliance has gone on for so
long and by so many across so many certificates?

Additionally, assuming a large CA with millions of issued certificates
using an actual 64-bit random serial number...  Should the CA also do an
exhaustive issued-serial-number search to ensure that the to-be-signed
serial number  is not off-by-one in either direction from a previously
issued certificate serial number?  However implausible, if it occurred,
this would indeed result in having participated in the issuance of 2
certificates with sequential serial numbers.

I agree with Peter Gutmann's statement.  Whatever the cause for the final
language in BR 7.1, the language as presently presented is awful and needs
to be fixed in such a manner as will eliminate ambiguity within the rules.
I cannot imagine that would hurt compliance, but I rather suspect it may
improve it.

[1] https://cabforum.org/wp-content/uploads/CA-Browser-Forum-BR-1.6.3.pdf