On 30/4/19 6:34 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 8:51 AM Fotis Loukos <fot...@ssl.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Ryan,
>>
>> On 29/4/19 5:20 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy wrote:

>> requirement
>> another

>> would
>> technically
>> of

>>> TL;DR: I do not support this change.
>>>
>>> This appears to highlight a tension between Mozilla Policy and (possible)
>>> ways to design a PKI.
>>>
>>> Consider the example of a CA that produces EV, OV, and DV certificates,
>> for
>>> use in both TLS and S/MIME.
>>>
>>> One hierarchy would have (Root, no policies/any policy) -> (EV, OV, DV
>>> PCAs, using the Certificate Policies extension to constrain the policies)
>>> -> (TLS, S/MIME issuing intermediates, using EKU) -> Leaf
>>> Another hierarchy would be (Root, no policies/any policy) -> (TLS, S/MIME
>>> "policy" intermediates, using EKU) -> (EV, OV, DV TLS issuing
>> intermdiates,
>>> EV, OV, DV S/MIME issuing intermediates, using the Certificate Policies
>>> constrain the policies)
>>
>> I would be glad to implement the second model you are proposing, but
>> AFAICT this is prohibited by the Root Store Policy using a single SubCA.
>> More precisely, section 5.3 of the Root Store Policy mentions:
>>
>> Intermediate certificates created after January 1, 2019, with the
>> exception of cross-certificates that share a private key with a
>> corresponding root certificate: MUST contain an EKU extension; and, MUST
>> NOT include the anyExtendedKeyUsage KeyPurposeId; and, * MUST NOT
>> include both the id-kp-serverAuth and id-kp-emailProtection
>> KeyPurposeIds in the same certificate.
>>

> Can you explain to me why you believe this is prohibited? The second model
> is the model that is permitted - the first model is, as you note, expressly
> forbidden by policy.

As I said, this is prohibited by the Root Store Policy using a single
SubCA. If that SubCA was to issue a TLS and an S/MIME intermediate, it
would need to either:
- Not include an EKU extension -> prohibited by the clause "MUST contain
an EKU extension"
- Include the anyExtendedKeyUsage KeyPurposeId -> prohibited by the
clause "MUST NOT include the anyExtendedKeyUsage KeyPurposeId"
- Include both the id-kp-serverAuth and id-kp-emailProtection
KeyPurposeIds -> prohibited by the clause "MUST NOT include both the
id-kp-serverAuth and id-kp-emailProtection KeyPurposeIds in the same
certificate."

I don't know of any other possible configurations that would allow this.
Please let me know if this can be solved in some other way.

> I suppose it wasn't clear that the , was separating out a list of
> intermediates. That is, in the 'second' model, you'd construct the
> following:
> (Root, no policies / any policy) -> (TLS intermediate) -> (EV intermediate)
> -> (EV TLS Leaf)
> (Root, no policies / any policy) -> (TLS intermediate) -> (OV intermediate)
> -> (OV TLS leaf)
> (Root, no policies / any policy) -> (TLS intermediate) -> (DV intermediate)
> -> (DV TLS leaf)
> (Root, no policies / any policy) -> (S/MIME intermediate) -> (EV
> intermediate) -> (EV S/MIME leaf)
> ... etc
>
> This is *highly* desirable and strongly beneficial to security than a model
> which is expressly forbidden in the current policy, which is
> (Root, no policies / any policy) -> (EV intermediate) -> (TLS intermediate)
> -> (EV TLS leaf)
> (Root, no policies / any policy) -> (EV intermediate) -> (S/MIME
> intermediate) -> (EV S/MIME leaf)
>
> That model creates significant risk to users, because that EV intermediate
> is capable of issuing both, subject to the union of policies, needs to be
> audited under both policies, and regularly we see issues with CA's thinking
> that their requirements on S/MIME don't apply to TLS.

Just to clarify, the EV intermediate is not issuing end-entity certificates.
How is this different from auditing a Root CA under both policies?
Or how is it different from auditing a Sub CA issued before 2019/01/01
under both policies?

>> In your example, the TLS, S/MIME "policy" intermediates have to be
>> different since they cannot include both the id-kp-serverAuth and
>> id-kp-emailProtection EKUs. I do not think that having a single CA for
>> this will introduce any risks.
>>
>> To summarize, I agree with the second model you are proposing, but I do
>> not think that a single SubCA under the Root will introduce any
>> additional risks compared to different SubCAs depending on the usage.
>>

> I disagree with this conclusion. I believe it demonstrably introduces more
> risk to have intermediates that are jointly capable of issuing for multiple
> purposes, as has been shown repeatedly in past issuance issues and "not
> intended" litigation.

Can you please point me to one of those issues where a SubCA not issuing
end entity certificates, but having EKU constrained intermediates led to
an issue?

Best regards,
Fotis

Fotis Loukos, PhD