On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 09:59:48AM -0700, Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy
wrote:
> > On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:48 PM Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy <
> > dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> >> To continue to participate in the Mozilla CA program, I recommend that we
> >> require Certinomis to create a new hierarchy and demonstrate their ability
> >> to competently operate their CA by going through a new root inclusion
> >> request. I’d like to propose two options for their existing root:
> >>
> >>    1. Remove it from our root store in an upcoming Firefox release.
> >>    2. Constrain it to use for gouv.fr domains in an upcoming Firefox
> >> release.

[...]

> If we decide to take option 2, I'm open to suggestions about the length of
> time we should continue to trust the root for issuance to gouv.fr domains,
> but I don't expect the answer to be "forever". One approach would be to
> require a relatively quick transition prior to the inclusion of a new
> Certinomis root. Another is to set a date far enough in the future that we
> believe it would be reasonable for Certinomis to have a new root included
> and transition to it, allowing gouv.fr site to continue to rely on
> Certinomis.

Apologies if I missed mention of this, but has there been any request from
the operators of gouv.fr to maintain trust in Certinomis for subdomains
thereof?  I'd be *extremely* uncomfortable with the idea that Firefox would
continue to trust an otherwise distrusted CA for a domain hierarchy without
the enthusiastic and informed consent of the operator of that hierarchy.

- Matt