The CRL question is not about it being a requirement, but rather the fact
that it could / would lead to disparate treatment between CRL and OCSP for
the same certificate, which does not feel right.

On the CT quorum issue, we use a mix of the most available sharded logs and
that is the failure rate we're observing. We have a few ideas for
improvements we're working on. If other operators are seeing much different
success rates, we'd love to compare notes. We're using the published best
practices, spreading load and using sharded logs, so an implementation
issue is not obvious if there is one. That said, other groups within Google
including the CT team also exchange messages with CT logs in fairly high
volumes, so we may experience atypically high rate-limiting due to all
being bucketed together.

CAA validations are only good for 8 hours, so the suggestion of a year
misses the much shorter timeline that needs to be honored for CAA.

--
Andy Warner
Google Trust Services