My view is that the OU field is a subject distinguished name field and that a
CA must have a process to prevent unverified information from being included in
the field.

Subject Identity Information is defined as information that identifies the
Certificate Subject.

I suppose the answer to your question depends on a) what you consider as
information that identifies the Certificate Subject and b) whether the process
required establishes the minimum relationship between that information and your
definition of SII.

From: Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com>
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 10:11 AM
To: Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com>
Cc: mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: Certificate OU= fields with missing O= field

Is your view that the OU is not Subject Identity Information, despite that
being the Identity Information that appears in the Subject? Are there other
fields and values that you believe are not SII? This seems inconsistent with
7.1.4.2, the section in which this is placed.

As to the <domain>.com in the OU, 7.1.4.2 also prohibits this:
CAs SHALL NOT include a Domain Name or IP Address in a Subject attribute except
as specified in Section 3.2.2.4 or Section 3.2.2.5.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 8:41 AM Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>>
 wrote:
A mistake in the BRs (I wrote the language unfortunately so shame on me for not
matching the other sections of org name or the given name). There's no
certificate that ever contains all of these fields. How would you ever have
that?

There's no requirement that the OU field information relate to the O field
information as long as the information is verified.