On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 6:05:20 PM UTC-5, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> (Replying from the correct e-mail)
>
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 3:55 PM Doug Beattie via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
> > We should clarify the Mozilla policy to more clearly define list of fields
> > containing email address (those 3 listed above) must be validated in
> > section
> > 2.2 so that this is clear and concise.
> >

> Doug,
>
> Is the proposal that, similar to how TLS defines that domain names MUST
> appear within the SAN:dNSName, that emailAddresses MUST appear within one
> of those three fields (that is: subject:commonName, subject:emailAddress,
> subjectAltName:rfc822Name), that any value in the subject MUST also appear
> in the subjectAltName, and an emailAddress MUST NOT appear in any other
> field?

I agree with your description of where S/MIME email addresses must go, but I
don't agree with your last statement that an email address "MUST NOT appear in
any other field".  More below.

> That would address the concern, correct?
>
> Wayne opened this issue in December and I just replied with a comment
> > related to the validation requirements of SAN/Other Name/UPN:
> >
> > https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/200
>

> I'm not sure I understand your question on this issue, and was hoping you
> could expand. As you note, it's not used within S/MIME, so presumably, it's
> not necessary for an S/MIME certificate, and thus MUST NOT be included.
> That would resolve the ambiguity, correct?

While it's not necessary for S/MIME, it's common to use an S/MIME certificate
for both secure mail and client authentication (and even other things like
ipSEC, file encryption etc).

1) Many/most CAs include both secure mail and client auth EKUs to permit such
use.  Is including the client auth EKU not permitted because it's not needed
for S/MIME?

2) When using this S/MIME certificate for client authentication to a corporate
system, the subjectAltName:UPN may be needed.  The UPN typically contains an
email address which may be the same, or may be different from the one in
subjectAltName:rfc822Name.  Since the UPN is not used for S/MIME, then its
value should be opaque to S/MIME clients and the validation of this field
should not need to follow the Mozilla policy for email validation.

3) Is including an email within a private extension not permitted, perhaps for
a special usecase outside of S/MIME?

4) Is including an email address in any other subject field (there is a long
list of subject fields in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4519) not validated in
accordance with the policy prohibited in S/MIME certificates?

Since S/MIME applications use the email address only in the 3 fields you
listed, is including it elsewhere an issue?  Given there are no standards for
the validation or use of an email address in any field (including the 3 used
for S/MIME) when the secure mail EKU is NOT included, is there an issue when
including email addresses in fields outside of those 3 when the certificate
contains the secure mail EKU?

I posted my proposed change to the Mozilla policy here:
  https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/200

Maybe this will be addressed as part of the S/MIME Certificate working group
and we can wait until then.

> Are you aware of any system that requires a single certificate contain both
> in order to be used for S/MIME? If I understood your question right, it's
> not required.

No, not for S/MIME.  Yes for when an S/MIME certificate is used for S/MIME and
other purposes.