On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 07:35:06PM +0000, Nick Lamb wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 13:48:55 +1100
> Matt Palmer via dev-security-policy
> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> > In my specific case, I've been providing a JWS[1] signed by the
> > compromised private key, and CAs are telling me that they can't (or
> > won't) work with a JWS, and thus no revocation is going to happen.
> > Is this a reasonable response?
>
> I don't hate JWS, but I can see Ryan's point of view on this. Not every
> "proof" is easy to definitively assess, and a CA doesn't want to get
> into the game of doing detailed forensics on (perhaps) random unfounded
> claims.
>
> Maybe it makes sense for Mozilla to provide in its policy (without
> limiting what else might be accepted) an example method of
> demonstrating Key Compromise which it considers definitely sufficient ?

I think it would be useful if Mozilla were to require that CPS have details
of acceptable methods of demonstrating key compromise.  There's even a
section which it would fit into nicely: 4.9.12, "Special Requirements for
Key Compromise".  It wouldn't solve the primary problem that I have --
having to special case every CA's pet method for requiring evidence -- but
it would, at least, close the "oh no wait we need *this* evidence" loophole,
and give reporting parties something to go off when reporting key
compromises.

Requiring that a CA's standards of evidence didn't require the use of one
specific tool (`openssl dgst` I'm looking at *you*) would be icing on the
cake.

- Matt