Let me try this. Let’s say a report of child abuse is put forward to a hosting
provider, should they ignore it because they “are not the police”? Should
companies like Twitter and Facebook do nothing to reduce the risk of bullying,
misinformation and other bad things? It’s ok to say you think they should do
nothing - but is that in the best interest of internet security and for
society?

Again, I’m talking about moral obligation, not the law or even standards or
best practices. Why would any company not want to reduce the risk of abuse for
illegal intent? Just because you don’t have to do something, doesn’t mean you
shouldn’t. You can walk past a child being kicked in the head by a strange man
if you want, but it’s probably not the right thing to do. You can call the
police but by then they could be dead.

Where’s your sense of doing the right thing?

> [...]
> akin to someone saying that masks, Bill Gates, 5G and vaccinations are all
> dangerous - totally stupid and not in the best interest of society.
>
> - Paul
>

>> On Aug 13, 2020, at 1:37 AM, Burton <j...@0.me.uk <mailto:j...@0.me.uk>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Let's Encrypt hasn't done anything wrong here.
>> Let's Encrypt has issued the certificate according to the BR requirements
>> and their own policies.
>>
>> Every domain should be allowed to have a certificate regardless of intent.
>> CAs must not be allowed to act as judges.
>>
>> Remember, all server certificates have to go into CT log and therefore
>> easily findable. That can be useful in many situations.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 9:15 AM Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
>> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
>> <mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>> wrote:
>> It’s actually really simple.
>>
>> You end up in a position of editorializing.  If you will not provide
>> service for abuse, everyone with a gripe constantly tries to redefine abuse.
>>

>> Additionally, this is why positive security indicators are clearly on the
>> way out.  In the not too distant future all sites will be https, so all
>> will require certs.
>>
>> CAs are not meant to certify that the party you’re communicating with isn’t
>> a monster.  Just that if you are visiting siterunbymonster.com
>> <http://siterunbymonster.com/> that you
>> really are speaking with siterunbymonster.com <http://siterunbymonster.com/>.
>>
>> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020, Paul Walsh via dev-security-policy <
>> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
>> <mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>> wrote:
>>
>> > [snip]

>> > already been discussed extensively on this list. This domain is already
>> > blocked by Google Safe Browsing, which is the correct layer (the User
>> > Agent) to deal with phishing at. I'd suggest reading through these posts
>> > before continuing so that we don't waste our time rehashing old arguments:
>> > https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/search?q=phishing
>> > <https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/search?q=phishing>
>> >

>> > [PW]  I’m going to ignore technology and phishing here, it’s irrelevant.
>> > What we’re talking about is a company’s anti-abuse policies and how they’re
>> > implemented and enforced. It doesn’t matter if they’re selling certificates
>> > or apples.
>> >
>> > Companies have a moral obligation (often legal) to **try** to reduce the
>> > risk of their technology/service being abused by people with ill intent. If
>> > they try and fail, that’s ok. I don’t think a reasonable person can
>> > disagree with that.
>> >
>> > If Let’s Encrypt, Entrust Datacard, GoDaddy, or whoever, has been informed
>> > that bad people are abusing their service, why wouldn’t they want to stop
>> > that from happening? And why would anyone say that it’s ok for any service

  • Concerns with Let's Encrpyt r... nathali...--- via dev-security-policy
    • Re: Concerns with Let's ... Jonathan Rudenberg via dev-security-policy
      • Re: Concerns with Le... Paul Walsh via dev-security-policy
        • Re: Concerns wit... Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
          • Re: Concerns... Burton via dev-security-policy
            • Re: Con... Paul Walsh via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Burton via dev-security-policy
                • ... Paul Walsh via dev-security-policy
                • ... Burton via dev-security-policy
                • ... Paul Walsh via dev-security-policy
                • ... Burton via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Tobias S. Josefowitz via dev-security-policy
                • ... Paul Walsh via dev-security-policy
                • ... Ronald Crane via dev-security-policy
                • ... Kurt Roeckx via dev-security-policy