Hi,

Given that not so long ago there was extensive discussion on this list
about certificates affected by the 2008 Debian OpenSSL bug [1] and
there seem to be related discussions in the CA/Browser Forum [2] I
wanted to share something:

It seems it is widely believed that the Debian OpenSSL bug does not
affect ECDSA / elliptic curve keys [3]. However that is not true. The
affected Debian versions used OpenSSL 0.9.8, which had support for EC
keys.

The source of this confusion seems to be a footnote in a paper
published shortly after that bug [4] ("but the version of OpenSSL
deployed on Debian-derived distributions ships without any elliptic
curve support"). That is wrong.

There's of course the question whether this matters. I did some checks
with certificate collections and I found no such keys used in the wild.
This is also maybe not surprising: In 2008 elliptic curve support in
TLS was still quite uncommon and considered unusual.

In any case: If you feel like blocking those keys is important, I have
created the different relevant variations for the typical curves p256
and p385 and shared them here (together with all the relevant RSA/DSA
variations of vulnerable keys):
https://github.com/badkeys/debianopenssl

I should note that sometimes this old openssl version seems to generate
broken keys that are not usable. I have not investigated this any
further.

My own tool badkeys will detect such keys:
https://badkeys.info/
https://github.com/badkeys/badkeys

If you want to verify this you may find this script helpful:
https://github.com/badkeys/debianssltools/blob/main/fetchdwkbin
It fetches the archived debian openssl packages and the necessary
libraries from the dependencies so you can run them with LD_PRELOAD on
a modern system.

[1]
https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/2uuXLPwGoSA/m/bqUDTXPSAgAJ
[2]