> I think this is a great idea, and I strongly support the necessary APIs for
> self-healing. Misbehaving addons have a huge impact on Firefox security. Even
> though the blocklist ping supports disabling misbehaving addons, being able
> to revert hijacked preferences (such as search) would be a huge benefit.
>
> With the multitude of 0-days that come out on a regular basis, it would be
> great to have more options way to prevent users from getting owned by making
> it more difficult to ignore updates, as well.

Some OS's install addons from a repo and so they are more secure
because they are signed and not modifiable due to root write
permissions being required and not being stored in the users profile
directory. If you deslect them in the repo you can the install via
firefox add-on manager. Users may also want to lock down the profile. So
whilst it is a good thing to do these things should be considered at
the same time unless firefox could handle this even more securely
(hardcoded checksum at runtime), which I very much doubt is practical
as an urgent update would require a firefox update?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)