On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Brian Smith <br...@briansmith.org> wrote:
> I assume by "prevents people from tracking individual access points"
> means the following: Some people have a personal access point on them
> (e.g. in their phone). If somebody knows the SSID and MAC of this
> personal access point, then they could track this person's location by
> polling the database for that (SSID, MAC) pair.

I put "_nomap"  at the end of my portable SSID, since Google says they
filter out SSIDs ending in "_nomap". However, I don't expect all
people to do that.

 1) Android has a mechanism for detecting when it is connecting to a
portable AP provided by another Android device. Can we use the same or
a similar detection mechanism to detect portable APs and filter them
out?
 2) I think I read somewhere that Mozilla is trying to filter out
"_nomap" as well. If Mozilla's servers only see hashes and the client
is modifiable, how can the filtering be enforced?
 3) There are some APs that move but whose name does not end in
"_nomap" and those access points confuse Android. (Consider an AP on a
train and trying to look at where you are on the map when  you are a
passenger on the train and Google has seen the train AP at a different
location.) Are there any plans for a crowdsourced mechanism  for
blacklisting such APs?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi