On 10/09/13 00:58 AM, Chris Peterson wrote:
I'm looking for some feedback on crypto privacy protections for a
geolocation research project I'm working on with the Mozilla Services
team. If you have general questions or suggestions about the project,
I'm happy to answer them, but I'd like to focus this thread on crypto.

Our team is prototyping a crowd-sourced version of Google's Street View
cars to correlate Wi-Fi access points and cell towers to GPS positions.
Our primary motivation is to provide non-proprietary location services
for Firefox OS devices.

If I read this correctly, you want your client devices to figure out where they are, right?

If that is the case, why not flip it around. Instead of trying to interpolate the existing data that is broadcast out there, why not write a protocol to broadcast the direct location from the wireless access point?

A lot of these routers run Linux, and this is a place where people would be interested in running a new service.

A wireless router that broadcasts its geolocation is not a privacy issue. There is no reason why it can't be turned on by default.

But anything else requires a horrible mishmash of approaches. To obtain what? Something the wireless can easily tell you directly.

iang