On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Patrick Walton <pwal...@mozilla.com>wrote:

> * Do we have data showing how many security bugs we could be avoiding in
>> Servo in comparison to Gecko? Is the security benefit truly as valuable
>> if expected performance benefits don't pan out?
>>

> We've been talking to some members of the security team (Jesse, Brian). In
> general the main class of security vulnerabilities that Rust offers a layer
> of defense against is memory safety problems in layout, rendering, and
> compositing code. Use-after-free is the big one here, but there are others.
> I'm not in the sg so I can't run the numbers myself, but I am told this
> constitutes a large class of security vulnerabilities.

A quick scan suggests that all 34 sec-critical bugs filed against Web Audio
so far are either buffer overflows (array-access-out-of-bounds, basically)
or use-after-free. In many cases the underlying bug is something quite
different, sometimes integer overflows.

Rust and Servo can potentially be pushed further to get additional
interesting security properties, but that requires more research.

Having said that, if we can't get superior performance, it won't fly no
matter what security we get.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *
*