Servo’s build system currently download things from under https://s3.amazonaws.com/rust-lang-ci/

Rust’s infrastructure team, who manages this S3 bucket, says we shouldn’t rely on it:

https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/public-stable-rust-services/6072

Once https://github.com/servo/servo/pull/18942 lands, there will be two remaining things we download from there:

* openssl-1.0.2k.tar.gz, when building for Android. Maybe we should package that into crates.io with a build script. This might also help with https://github.com/servo/servo/issues/18343

* "Alternate" builds of rustc, that have LLVM assertions disabled. These compile 20~50% faster than official Nightly builds. We’re working one making this officially available on static.rlo (https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/45334) and with rustup (https://github.com/rust-lang-nursery/rustup.rs/issues/1099)

In the meantime, we might still want to move off of 'rust-lang-ci' so something we (the Servo team) control. Maybe the 'servo-rust' AWS S3 bucket that we’ve used until November 2015 to download custom Rust builds. (Before official Nightly supported cross-compilation to Android, IIRC.)

Every time we update the compiler version, we’d need to copy some files from 'rust-lang-ci' to 'servo-rust'. I assume we don’t want to distribute AWS keys to too many people, so maybe there could be a dedicated repository where Travis-CI is configured to do that copy when we merge a new Nightly date. Or something like that.

Thoughts?

--
Simon Sapin