Cargo has traditionally not wanted to add full support for arbitrary
RUSTFLAGS, for reasonable reasons:
https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/60#issuecomment-51705597

What we've done in the past is for each flag that we needed exposed opened
a specific Issue or PR to Cargo to have just that one feature either added
to the allowed flags list or as a new toplevel item in the profile. I'd at
least check those out first before regressing link performance
significantly or adding a local development footgun (only checking certain
warnings in CI and requiring people to take an extra trip through the homu
queue to find out things they could have tested locally).

FWIW, I agree totally - any reasonable IDE is not going to respect usage of
`mach` to set env vars and we'd LOVE to have all this stuff in Cargo
configs. The use of RUSTFLAGS in mach has traditionally been a staging area
for features not yet turned on by default in rustc or not yet supported for
configuration in cargo (especially in the dark old days of cross
compilation woes - much better now!).
- Lars