Josh Matthews wrote:
> I sent these messages to the webtools mailing list, but it doesn't
> seem to be very active, so I'm hoping there will be a bit more
> feedback here (read: >0).
>
>     I'm hoping to get a bit of feedback on an idea for a Summer of
>     Code project.  David Mandelin suggested [1] combining Dehydra and
>     MXR to give it abilities which have previously been discussed on
>     this list: ie. clicking on a variable name takes you to its
>     definition, or hovering over it will show you its type in a
>     tooltip.  Contextual information like this will make MXR far more
>     powerful than it currently is, and without having taken a look at
>     either the Dehydra or MXR codebases yet, I feel like it might make
>     a reasonable SoC project to hook them up and produce some
>     meaningful output.  Any comments from those more knowledgeable than I?
>
>     Cheers,
>     Josh
>

> In the hopes of generating a bit of feedback, I've attached a mockup
> of what the new Dehydra+MXR fusion interface could look like.  I
> envision it as a box that appears when you hover over an identifier
> that is AJAX-ically loaded with the conxtextual information from
> Dehydra.  There could easily be a keybinding to toggle the hints if
> they keep getting in the way, and this way would avoid slowing down
> page load times with all of the extra information.  What kind of links
> or text would be best to place in the hint, though? I've used the
> example described on David Mandelin's post [1] to illustrate what I'm
> getting at.
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>
> [1] http://blog.mozilla.com/dmandelin/2008/03/03/mxr-your-dehydra/

Josh,
I think this would be an excellent summer of code project. I the new lxr
features should be fleshed out better.
What about class browsing (my silly example
http://blog.mozilla.com/tglek/2007/04/23/mozilla-class-browser/),
listing who calls which method, etc?
Also, once you add JavaScript to lxr, might as well optimize it further
by generating line numbers dynamically to speed it up.

I added this proposal to
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Community:SummerOfCode08:Brainstorming#Mozilla_Platform.

Taras