Michael Baffoni wrote:
I can't find the .chk files (although I did find the other .dll files) in the .zip archives. Are they required for correct operation, and is there an alternate location to find them? If it matters, I'm using the NSS 3.9 from the FTP server.

Right now, I've created a new DB, imported one CA certificate, then running the command:
$ ./certutil.exe -V -n "RootCA" -b 060429000000 -u V
nss-3.9\bin\certutil.exe: NSS_Initialize failed: security library: bad database.

Thank you for your help,

The chk files are only required for FIPS140 mode, which you can enabled with modutil. Your problem is that you didn't specify a directory for the NSS database with -d <dir> to certutil .