OK.

There is nothing special about any of the S/W I am using.  I am running
fedora core 7 with all the latest updates from the Fedora Project.

The OCSP responder is the openca-ocspd.

The certificates are pretty basic.  They have SKID, AKID, AIA, CKU and EKU.
The EKU is for a TLS Server.

Anything else?

As I mentioned, I don't see any requests from firefox.

Bruce