Kyle Hamilton wrote:

We don't know exactly what rules they enforce.  We know that they permit
only a single '*', and do not permit any of the other forms of so-called
regular expressions that are presently recognized by NSS.  We don't know
if they require any minimum number of dots to the right of the '*', or
if they allow other things to the left of the star.

So, here's a radical thought: why don't you propose a mechanism of
certificate handling and submit it through the IETF, instead of making
arbitrary changes to your own policy that are all but guaranteed to
reduce the Mozilla user-base?  Specifications are only useful to the
point that they are useful -- there are many aspects of everything
cryptography-related that aren't, including specifications of policy
requirements in the base protocols ("the server MUST identify itself
before it asks for client authentication" being a very pointed
reference).
Hi Kyle,

The original post started with:

In recent years, IETF RFC standards have arisen that prescribe the
wildcard patterns that are allowed for each application protocol (e.g.
there is a standard for http, one for LDAP, etc.).  None of the new
standards permit any form of wildcarding except "*".  Some permit
only one "star" per name (e.g. *.xyz.com, but not *.*.xyz.com), while
others explicitly allow it.  NONE allow a star to match a dot, so that
in no case would "*.xyz.com" be allowed to match "www.stw.xyz.com".

The proposal to change is only because the IETF has created a standard and it differs from our existing one. The question we still have is how closely IE follows the standard (We already know it follows it more closely than we do). If a standard exists, and IE already follows it, the assumption is the actual instances of these broad based wild cards are likely to be small, and in any case is unlikely to have any effect on the user-base.

Nelson's email is checking to see if these assumptions are in fact true.

bob