Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
> Does it follow from that recommendation that Mozilla browsers should provide
> a user-configurable preference to enable/disable the EV UI
> entirely?
> Should users have the option to disable "Larry"?
> Has anyone expressed desire to do so?

I haven't (yet) heard anyone express a desire to disable "Larry". In
this regard, I wasn't thinking so much of users wanting or needing the
option to disable "Larry". I was actually thinking more of the reverse
case, where either we or the end user might want to only accept EV certs
from a particular CA. (Perhaps we and/or the end user don't like that
particular CA's procedures for non-EV certs). In other words, show the
Larry interface for that CA's EV certs, but reject their non-EV certs as
invalid, same as if the CA didn't have an embedded root.

This is really a question for the future, but it might be useful to
think about for long-term NSS/PSM planning. It's sort of a special case
of the general problem of having NSS/PSM be able to take special actions
(either built-in or user-specified) based on certificate policy values.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]