[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2:55 pm, Michael Ströder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I really wonder what makes a host name an "unqualified hostname"?
>
> One workable definition is a host name without a dot "." (ignoring any
> trailing dots).

This would exclude issuing certs for a top-level hostname. This could be
a valid assumption though.

>> No doubt that https://www/looks like a valid example to us humans. But
>> how about https://com/(top-level domain)?
>
> It doesn't really matter what looks like a valid host name to humans.

That's exactly what I meant. ;-)

> What matters is the policy under which certificates are issued.  If a
> CA is willing to issue certs for "com" or "www" to anyone, then the
> certificate does not guarantee who you're talking to.

It depends: If the CA states that the hostname MUST be a fully-qualified
domain name then even a hostname without a dot has a well-defined
meaning without extra magic.

>> As I noted in a previous
>> posting technically you can't tell without actually trying to lookup a
>> hostname in DNS (without search suffix automagic).
>
> It doesn't matter what DNS tells you.

But it does matter what the browser asks for.

> In this threat model, DNS is under the control of the attacker.

Yes.

> What matters is what the browser
> can deduce from the CA's signature on the certificate.

But the browser does the connect based on DNS resolving.

Ciao, Michael.