On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 19:06 -0800, Nelson B Bolyard wrote:
> Hans Petter Jansson wrote, On 2008-11-15 17:57:

> > It's on separate workstations, but in some cases one database migrates
> > successfully while another fails on the same system.

> Is is possible that more than one version of the NSS shared libraries is
> installed, and that the two users have different LD_LIBRARY_PATHs, so
> that the two users are getting different versions of the NSS when they
> attempt this?

It's highly unlikely.

> > This database only fails to migrate if the target database was not
> > already created by another, successful merge, though.

> I think you're saying that the failures only occur if the "target" (cert9)
> DB doesn't already exist when your program is run, but does succeed if
> the target is already a legit cert9 DB.  Is that what you're saying?
> That would not surprise me.  I think that the function you're using,
> NSS_InitWithMerge, does assume that the target DB already exists.

Almost. I'm saying that if the database fails to migrate the first time,
and leaves an empty database, then subsequent merges to that database
also fail. However, if the first merge is successful (creating the
database and populating it), then subsequent merges always work.

I have a small sample size, though, since I don't have (nor want,
really) direct access to other users' databases.

It looks like Wolfgang found the problem, or at least a problem, in the
"Firefox' password manager" thread, so I'm going to test using a normal
NSS_Init() to create the database if it doesn't already exist, and see
if that works.

Thanks, Wolfgang :)

--
Hans Petter Jansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>