Anders Rundgren wrote:
From what I have seen on this list there has been a lot of talk about
inclusion of various CA root certificates in the Mozilla distributions.

IMO, most of these CAs are insignificant except for SSL certs.

I'm not sure your intended meaning is. There is no significant use of CA-issued certificates on the public Internet other than for enabling SSL/TLS.

The primary reason CAs apply to have certificates included into NSS, and the primary reason we have a policy about this, is because CAs want their customers' SSL certificates recognized in Firefox.

Why?  Because the vast majority of organizations (in the rare situation that
they use client-side PKI), actually issue their own client-certificates.

Yes, because almost all use of client certificates is in enterprise networks, not on the public Internet.

BTW, I don't see that other providers of security software are particularly
anxious extending their preconfigured trust lists.

To the contrary: Microsoft has an active program evaluating and accepting new root certificates for inclusion into Windows. They do it for the same reason we do: because CAs, web site operators, and users themselves don't want to see errors occur when connecting to SSL-enabled web sites.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]